by Miff Crommelin
Once again there were some difficulties in sorting out "Who's Who?" because of the multiplicity of names involving "Louis" and "Samuel". At one time we thought that "Louis of Lisburn" was actually "Samuel Louis" who dropped the name "Samuel" after his father died. This apparently is not the case. The following chart should set the record straight.
The signatures you see on this chart are the actual signatures of our ancestors as gleaned from the baptism, wedding and burial registers of the Protestant church at Lehaucourt in northern France (Picardy). These historic registers are now housed at the Archives Departementales de l'Aisne at Laon. [You can visit these archives online. Click the little 'black button' to the right of entries that read: "Saint Quentin - Registre protestant" - bottom of the page.]
The signatures of Louis and Anne Crommelin, Marie Mettayer (Louis' mother), and Samuel Crommelin and Madelaine Testart (Anne's parents) all appear together on the marriage registry of Louis and Anne dated April 22, 1680. The signature of Louis' father (the first child of Jean Crommelin and Rachel Tacquelet) does not appear at that wedding because he had already died in 1669. His mother, Marie Mettayer, was the daughter of Jean Mettayer, the Pastor of Lehaucourt church for many years. She was the brother of Samuel Mettayer who succeeded their father as pastor of the church. In fact, Samuel Mettayer was the pastor of the church in 1685 when it was demolished following the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
Meanwhile, the plaque on the Crommelin tomb at Lisburn, Northern Ireland tends to be a bit confusing because of the wrong spelling of names, etc. However, by comparing the plaque's inscription with the names and dates on the chart below one can make sense of what the plaque means to say.
Another child of Pierre Crommelin and Marie des Ormeaux was Jean Crommelin who married Elisabeth Marin. They also had some descendents who left us an interesting trail of signatures and memorabilia, including Samuel Crommelin who served two terms as Mayor of St. Quentin. While the Crommelins above were Protestants who fled France after 1685, those that stayed behind were mostly Catholics who either abjured or embraced R.C. all their lives. Their signatures appear in the registers of the St. Jacques parish of St. Quentin.