William Bull was a stone mason hired by Daniel Crommelin to build his 'palace', the GreyCourt Inn, on property Daniel owned in the (uninhabited) Wawayanda Patent of Orange County, New York. The circumstances of their meeting is given below.
Although the "GreyCourt Inn" no longer exists, its foundation stones with the inscription "DC 1716 CC" remain, having been incorporated into the west wall of another one of William Bull's creations, "The Bull House" in Hamptonburgh. This historic house and museum (built in 1722) is situated five miles from where the Greycourt Inn stood for 116 years (from 1716 to 1832). It figured prominently during the American Revolution.
"Daniel Crommelin 1716 Charles Crommelin"
"DC 1716 CC" just below the upper storey window.
No doubt the "Greycourt Inn" would have had a similar appearance.
William Bull and Sarah Wells
Stone House Association, Inc.
183 County Route 51
Campbell Hall, NY 10916-2924
Photos courtesy of Michael Brown, present curator of the Bull House,
and descendent of William Bull and Sarah Wells.