(to Frederic de Coninck Translation Project)
Quevilly Temple (1600)
See also: Persecution
LeGendre (Persecution) - text
Seal of the Reformed Church of Rothomagus (Rouen)
The seal of the consistory of Rouen was discovered in 5 volumes of a book called "Germanicarum rerum veteres scriptores" published in Frankfurt in 1600 and 1607. This book was purchased at a second-hand bookshop (bouquiniste) in Paris around 1853. The five volumes once belonged in the library of the Reformed Church of Rouen in the 17th century. The stamp depicts Noah's Ark floating on the waves. It is a roundish vessel showing a dove on the roof with an olive branch in its beak, the symbol of peace returning to the earth.
Source: Bulletin de la Société de l'histoire du protestantisme français - 1854, P233
The temple was located approx. 450 m along the side of
the Rue de la République at Grand-Quevilly.
A large Protestant community lived in Normandy in the 16th century. When Luther's theses were posted at the University in Caen, the Reformation spread to Rouen. Severe repression was inflicted as early as 1562 when more than 600 victims were killed in Rouen before the Saint-Barthélémy massacre [August 25, 1572]. The Edict of Nantes (1598) restored peace and enabled the construction of a new temple outside the city of Rouen at a place called Quevilly.
Outside the city, as stipulated by the Edict of Nantes, the Quevilly temple was built on a centred plan. It was a dodecahedron about 30m long and maximum 22m high, lighted by 60 double windows, with a skylight on each side. Construction began in 1600 and was completed in 1601. The walls of the edifice were built on a firm foundation of brick and timber like the one built by the Protestants in Dieppe in the same period. It was a marvel of acoustics, having no pillar inside and having all the woodwork resting on a central keystone. A three-tiered tribune featured on all twelve sides. Pews in the centre and along the twelve sides enabled worshippers to focus on the pastor's pulpit and they enabled the building to hold large congregations. In 1685, following the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, the Quevilly temple was destroyed.
DUBIEF, Henri et POUJOL, Jacques, La France protestante, Histoire et Lieux de mémoire, Max Chaleil éditeur, Montpellier, 1992, rééd. 2006, 450 pages
- FARIN, François, Histoire de la ville de Rouen, Louis du Souillet, Rouen, 1731
- LAURENT, René, Promenade à travers les temples de France, Les Presses du Languedoc, Millau, 1996, 520 pages
- REYMOND, Bernard, L'architecture religieuse des protestants, Labor et Fides, Genève, 1996
- Études théologiques et Religieuses Tome 75, 2000
- GUICHARNAUD, Hélène, Approche de l'architecture des Temples protestants construits en France avant la Révocation
© Virtual Museum of French Protestantism
Quevilly Church Registries Pertaining to the
De Coninck and Crommelin Families
Although not all the church records of Quevilly still exist, those registers that have survived down to the present day indicate that this was a very vibrant church with numerous baptisms, marriages and funerals involving our distant relations. Our ancestors obviously took their faith and the church very seriously. The following are some of the special occasions recorded at Quevilly over 300 years ago.
1652 November 17, birth of Marthe Duval, future wife of Jean de Coninck. She was baptized by pastor Samuel de Langle.
1655 January 29, birth of Catherine de Coninck, future wife of Jean Camin. She was baptized by pastor Lucas Jansse.
Rachel Tacquelet, wife of Jean Crommelin, was the godmother.
1655 June 27, birth of Francois de la Chambre, son of Daniel de la Chambre and Marie Crommelin
(older sister of Daniel). He was baptized by pastor Samuel de Langle.
1655 September 20, birth of Jean Camin. He was baptized by pastor Samuel de Langle.
1657 October 23, birth of Francois de Coninck. He was baptized by pastor Samuel de Langle.
Marie Crommelin (godmother); Daniel de la Chambre (godfather).
1660 October 22, birth of Frederic de Coninck. He was baptized by pastor Etienne Lemoine.
1660 May 21, burial of Marie Crommelin, age 33, who died giving birth.
She was a daughter of Jean Crommelin and Rachel Tacquelet and an older sister of Catherine, Jacob, Daniel and Esther.
She was the wife of Daniel de la Chambre and mother of
Daniel, Francois, Jean, Marie, and Anne de la Chambre.
1662 April 8, burial of Francois de Coninck, Catherine Crommelin's first husband, age 41.
He was the father of Catherine, Francois, Frederic and Jean de coninck.
[He lived in the "paroisse" St. Eloy which is perhaps the best clue as to where Catherine Crommelin lived in Rouen.]
1662 September 13, burial of Jean Crommelin, age 23.
He was a son of Jean Crommelin and Rachel Tacquelet,
a brother of Catherine, Jacob, Daniel and Esther.
According to Jacob (Scheffer p.171) this young man was destined
by his father to replace him by taking over the family business.
He died in his mother's (Rachel Tacquelet's) arms in his 24th year.
[Note: In the registers of the Protestants at Rouen, one's home was designated simply by mentioning the Catholic parish where one lived. The above 3 deceased people apparently lived in the "paroisse" St. Eloy although they attended the Protestant temple at Quevilly.]
St. Eloy parish was large enough to have a road (Rue St. Eloy) and a gate (Porte St. Eloy) named after it.
[In the book by Philippe Josse & Albert Sarrazin, see page 41 for a complete list of parishes in Rouen.]
The "Vieux Palais" at bottom left was the old palace of the English kings when Rouen was occupied by England.
This 1620 (foreshortened) scene by Claude de Jongh shows the Porte St. Eloy at left.
Somewhere along Rue du Vieux-Palais (#387) was the Rouen home of Catherine Crommelin
where many of her letters were written from.
|1668 August 8, birth of Marie Oursel ('Manon'). She was baptized by pastor Lucas Jansse on August 12. Her father, Robert Oursel, and grandmother, Rachel Tacquelet (godmother), widow of Jean Crommelin, and uncle, Daniel de la Chambre (godfather), were in attendance. 'Manon' died single on March 30, 1749 in Berlin.|
|1674 November baptism (above) of Francoise Durand, niece of Marie Camin ("Mayon"). The baby was the daughter of Jacques Durand and
[Marie Camin was born in Abbeville, France, 1659 November 14. Her parents were Louis Camin and Anne Santerre. She grew up an orphan. She was the future wife of Frederic de Coninck. Marie Camin's uncle, Jacques Durand (above) later paid the bail to free Marie Camin from her convent prison at Dieppe in 1686.]
Esther Crommelin, widow of Jean Torin, attending a baptism in December 1678.
Icons used for Francois de la Chambre (above) and Jean de la Chambre (below)...
1684 April 13, marriage of Jean de Vattemare and Marie de la Chambre, daughter of Daniel de la Chambre and the late Marie Crommelin (another older sister of Daniel).
Daniel and Francois de la Chambre were in attendance.
The children of Marie Crommelin and Daniel de la Chambre were:
|1685 February 25, birth of Catherine de Coninck ("Catin"), daughter of Jean de Coninck and Marthe Duval.
Jean Duval (perhaps Marthe's brother) and Catherine Crommelin were the godparents.
["Catin" and her younger sister, Marthe, were to become orphans at an early age. Catin married Nicolas Caron in 1715. They went to Barbados where they both died in 1725. Her sister, Marthe, born in Rotterdam 1686 June 19, died in Amsterdam 1713 February 16. Their inheritance money became an issue of great dispute between Frederic de Coninck and his uncle, Daniel Crommelin, for over 20 years.]
Three months later, on June 6, 1685 by order of the Parlement of Rouen, the Temple of Quevilly was condemned, and all exercise of the Reformed faith was prohibited in Rouen. The destruction of the Temple commenced that day and it was demolished down to its very foundations. The church registers, however, miraculously survived the centuries.
Church registers source: Archives départementales de Seine-Maritime, Rouen
In 1699, a role of 'nouveaux convertis' in Le Havre shows the three sisters, Marie, Esther and Rachel, still living with their father. Incorrect ages are given. Marie would have been 31, Esther 29, Rachel 26. A servant lady, Anne Godard, has replaced their mother, Catherine Crommelin, who died in 1694. Their brother, Robert Jr., died in 1693 in Jamaica of yellow fever. Since Catherine's death, the Oursels inherited two properties at Saint Martin au Bosq and Rolleville which were being rented out.
Marie Oursel ('Manon') remained single. She died in Berlin 30 March 1749. Ester Oursel ('Terotte') later went to Holland where she settled in Amsterdam and married a lawyer, Philippe Meusnier, around 1700 who died at Amsterdam in 1744. They had no children. Rachel Oursel died in Holland in 1742 [another record says she died on 28 February 1750 and left no children]. She married there around 1716 Abraham Bilbaut, a pastor at Dordrecht, later at Middelbourg. Their father (Catherine Crommelin's second husband), Robert Oursel, died in 1708.
- Chris Shelley - A Brief History of Quevilly
- Philippe Legendre - Histoire de la persécution faite à l'église de Rouen sur la fin du dernier siècle
- Jean Daval - Histoire de la Réformation à Dieppe, 1557-1657
- Henri Amphoux - Essai sur l'histoire du protestantisme au Havre et dans ses environs
- Jean Bianquis - La révocation de l'Édit de Nantes à Rouen : essai historique
- Emile Lesens - Histoire de la persécution faite à L'Église de Rouen sur la fin du dernier siècle
- Theodore Muret - Mademoiselle de Montpensier, Histoire du temps de la Fronde
- Philippe Josse, Albert Sarrazin - Abrégé d'un journal historique de Rouen (1872)
- Baum - Cunitz - Histoire ecclesiastique des eglises reformees au royaume de France (1974)
- Bulletin de la Commission pour l'histoire des Eglises Wallonnes
- Samuel Smiles - The Huguenots in France after the revocation of the Edict of Nantes; with memoirs of distinguished Huguenot refugees and a visit to the country of the Vaudois (1881)
- Julien Loth - Biography of Pierre Farin (1605-1675), historian of Rouen
- Theodore Cook - The story of Rouen